Whole Wheat Chia Seed Pancakes
Happy Pancake Day! Try out these healthy pancakes this Pancake Day that are super simple to make and are good for you to eat! This recipe includes delicious chia seeds which are full of fibre. So self-indulge a little and don’t feel you need to deprive yourself!
Total Cooking Time - 20 mins
Prep Time 5mins + Cooking Time 15 mins (10-12 pancakes)
3⁄4 cup whole wheat flour
2 tbsp chia seeds
3 tbsp plain yoghurt
1 tsp baking soda
1 1⁄2 tbsp honey
3⁄4 cup almond milk (or milk of choice)
1⁄4 tsp salt
2 tbsp coconut oil
the topping (optional) or use your favourites!*
1/4 cup blueberries
Juice from 1 lemon
1 tsp lemon zest
2 tbsp plain yogurt
*Mine is to drizzle some maple syrup with chopped bananas and a few roughly chopped nuts
1. Combine the mixture of flour, baking soda and salt in a bowl.
2. Add eggs, honey, yogurt, and milk and whisk everything together. Then stir in the chia seeds to form a thick smooth batter.
3. Prepare your pan over medium heat with a small amount (2 tablespoons) of coconut oil in a pan.*
4. Once the oil has melted and pan is hot, spoon in enough of batter in the pan to form a pancake.
Spread out the mixture if needed.
5. Wait until batter starts bubbling and then use a spatula to flip pancake over.
Approximately cook each side for 2-3 mins until its golden before turning to the other side.
6. Repeat the process until batter is gone.
*add more coconut oil as and when needed for more frying
Topping to serve (optional)
1. Place yogurt in a bowl and stir in lemon juice and zest.
2. Top pancakes with yogurt and blueberries.
The smaller the pancake, the easier to turn over. If you make a large pancake, slip the spatula around the entire edge of the pancake and then scoop it up from underneath - otherwise, your pancake may split!